6.03.2008

First 10K Training Days

I guess it’s a little weird that I’ve started 10K training when I haven’t even finished a 5K, but that’s how it works out. The 5K is on Saturday evening (I know, weird) and I’m all registered and everything. Unfortunately it looks like I’m going to have to run this one by myself, as everyone seems to be pretty busy. This may be for the best because I’m going to be embarrassingly slow and may have to walk a bit of it. However, I’m a little worried just because I’ve never done a race and I’m not sure what to do when I get there, how early to leave, etc. Oh well I’m sure I’ll survive – haha.

I’m going to suck it up and go to the doctor to have my arch/ankle/calf looked at … after the 5K. I have 24 weeks of 10K training scheduled (starting yesterday) so I can afford to miss a little bit if need be. But I really need to do this race. But I also really need to have this issue solved before I try to increase my mileage. It's a very odd sort of pain. I'll explain it again in case anyone has experienced this. It starts sort of in my arch and wraps around the inside of my ankle and then spreads a little up the inside of my calf. It doesn't feel like muscle pain and it's not stabbing, more of a soreness, but can be pretty painful. It comes on gradually during the 2nd mile most times I run even though it starts out fine. It also gets worse the longer I run after it starts aching.

Oh yeah, as for the 10K training, I’ve decided to go with the Hal Higdon program so this week (and the next 2) looks like:

M: stretch/strength (legs, easy) -- also did 30 minutes of elliptical because I didn’t exercise all last week
T: 2.5m run (oops only did 1.8. I was pressed for time and also in pain with my R leg issues … so I cut out early)
W: 30 min crosstraining
R: 2m run + strength (arms) -- will stretch this to 2.5 since I cut out early today
F: rest!
S: race day (3.1m run)
S: 40 min crosstraining


My general plan is to build up intensity (for both cross-training and running) the second time through each week, then use the third week to recover slightly before the next training step. So all of my runs *should* be faster the middle week with the first and last weeks being equal-ish

3 comments:

Kitzzy said...

So are you basically following his novice 8 week plan and just doing each week 3 times?

I am hoping to run 3 miles on Sunday and run the entire race on the 14th. I want to run 5 days a week, so I am thinking of starting a schedule like this on Sunday:


[SUN] long run: 2.75 - 3 mi
[MON] rest / yoga
[TUE] easy run: 1.5 mi
[WED] intervals at faster pace: 3 x .25 mi run / .25 mi walk
[THU] easy run: 1.5 mi
[FRI] rest / cross (walk / yoga)
[SAT] easy run: 1.5 mi

The plan is to increase the long run distance by 1/2 mile every other week, then do the same for the other runs on alternating weeks. My first 10K isn't until October, so I think I'll be up to that millage by then if this works.

Good luck in your first 5k!

Aaron Cunningham said...

Have a good run this weekend!!! Good Luck!

Running the race by yourself just means that you don't have to slow down for anyone. :)

It's pretty much find the registration table, get your bib and possibly chip, stand around in a croup till a loud noise occurs, then run the same direction as everyone else. :) Get there a little early, and don't stress out.

Planar Fasciitis maybe? Can't remember, have you tried arch supports? Tendonitis of some sort? Hope the doc can help.

The running plan makes sense to me. As I have to remind myself, don't get married to the plan. If you start feeling better (I suspect that a lot of this running thing is just getting miles on your legs) don't be afraid to move to a new set of weeks early if it feels right.

I can't remember the right term for it, but you could also try moving up, then backing off, then moving up again. something like:

week1 - 3, 3, 3
week2 - 3, 3, 3
week3 - 3, 3, 3.5
week4 - 3, 3, 3
week5 - 3, 3, 3.5

you get the idea.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.